Recommended Reading

Listed below are a number of books that might be of interest. Please note, however, that Sharp Family Law is unable to take any responsibility for the content or advice these books may contain


Useful Links


  • Child Line: A free 24 hour helpline for children and young people in danger or distress 0800 1111
  • Divorce and Children: Helps separating and divorcing couples to redefine their families and their lives
  • One Parent Families|Gingerbread, the National Council for One Parent Families. A registered charity working to promote the welfare and independence of one parent families
  • Parentline: Offers support to anyone parenting a child including the parents, stepparents, grandparents and foster parents
  • Understanding Childhood. Understanding Childhood provides free downloadable information leaflets for families and childcare professionals to help raise emotionally secure children.

Collaborative Practice

  • Collaborative Family Lawyers: The CFL website contains information on Collaborative Practice and the names of Collaborative Family Lawyers based in the South and South West of England
  • International Academy of Collaborative Professionals (IACP): The IACP is an international community of 3,000 or more legal, mental health and financial professionals working in concert to create client-centered processes for resolving conflict. The website contains information on Collaborative Practice and Collaborative Professionals worldwide.

Divorce & Separation

  • Divorce Aid: An independent group of professionals who provide divorce advice, support and information on any family matter that might concern you. The website contains in-depth legal, financial, practical and emotional information and links to sources of support.

Government Services

  • Child Maintenance Service (CMS): The Child Maintenance Service or Child Support Agency (CSA) calculates and collects child maintenance The website contains a maintenance calculator and information leaflets
  • Department for Constitutional Affairs (DCA): This website has information on the main policy areas affecting the family including marriage and relationship support, divorce or separation, children, court-directed paternity testing and domestic violence.

Legal Services

  • Her Majesty’s Court Service (HMCS): The HMCS is responsible for managing the magistrates’ courts, the Crown Court, county courts, the High Court and Court of Appeal in England and Wales. The website contains a wide range of information on divorce proceedings
  • The Law Society: The Law Society represents solicitors in England and Wales. The website contains a wide range of legal information, including the code of conduct which all solicitors must adhere to.
  • Civil Legal Aid: You might be able to get free and confidential advice from Civil Legal Advice
  • Legal Aid Agency LAA runs the legal aid scheme in England and Wales. The website provides information about public funding of legal costs for civil and criminal matters. Guides are available for free download in PDF format.
  • Resolution (formerly – The Solicitors Family Law Association) Resolution’s 5000 members are family lawyers committed to the constructive resolution of family disputes. The website provides information on family law. Guides are available for free download in PDF format.


  • Family Mediators Association (FMA): The FMA offers family mediation to private clients outside the court system. The website has information on family mediation and a register of 300 or more Family Mediators across the country
  • National Family Mediation (NFM): NFM is a network of local not-for-profit Family Mediation Services in England and Wales that offers help to couples, married or unmarried, who are in the process of separation and divorce. The website has information on family mediation and a list of NFM offices across the country
  • The UK College of Family Mediators: It sets standards for family mediation and maintains a register of family mediator members in all parts of the United Kingdom who meet those standards.

Support Sites

  • Advice Guide: Online Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) service that gives you information on your Rights in the UK.
  • Benefit Enquiry Line: Website provides general information and advice on welfare benefits and how to claim them
  • Relate: Offers advice, relationship counselling, sex therapy, workshops, mediation, consultations and support face-to-face, by phone and through their website
  • Women’s Aid: the national domestic violence charity offering support for women who suffer domestic violence. Helpline number, campaigns, news, events and job vacancies