The prospect of divorce can be daunting, but what lays ahead, the decisions that need to be made and the process to be taken need not be difficult with the right professional advice and support for you.
As a divorce does raise sensitive and personal issues, it is important to choose a solicitor who you can work with, is approachable, makes you feel confident and whose advice you understand and can trust.
There are a variety of approaches for dealing with the issues arising from a divorce – collaborative law, constructive negotiation and in some cases litigation – so make sure you choose a solicitor who is experienced and believes in the approach that fits with your vision for your family’s future.
Here are some basic guidelines for choosing a divorce solicitor to help you on your way.
- Try to get a personal recommendation. If you know anyone who has been through a divorce, ask them for an honest assessment of the solicitor they used. However, just because your friend was impressed by their lawyer it doesn’t mean that they will be the right match for you.
- Your spouse’s solicitor may recommend another Law Firm or solicitor. Do give this consideration. Having two solicitors who have a good working relationship will have many benefits.
- Do your research! Make sure you have looked at the Law Firm’s website and read the profile of the solicitor you are meeting with before your appointment. It’s crucial to ensure that the Firm’s ethos and the solicitor’s style of practice are a good fit with what you are hoping to achieve.
- Don’t be afraid to shop around! Talk to more than one solicitor and interview for the job. You may know of a Law Firm or a certain solicitor that has a good reputation but, when you meet them, it might not feel right. Trust your instincts, and, if you feel uncomfortable with them for whatever reason then look for someone else.
- Make a list of the attributes you want your solicitor to have and see how those you have identified as possible solicitors measure up – Did the solicitor understand your concerns and what was important to you? Did the solicitor do a good job of listening to you and answering your questions? Did you feel confident in the advice given and the approach the solicitor proposed to take?
Getting the right divorce lawyer on board is crucial to easing the pain of separation and divorce. At Sharp Family Law we appreciate that choosing the right solicitor for you is an important decision worth spending time over.